Friday 6 June 2014

No time to read?

I meet a lot of people who tell me that they used to love reading, but now they no longer have the time to read. It's true that modern life can be very hetic, but I think that reading enhances life so much [click here to see a brillant article on the benefits of reading] that it's a real shame when people lose the habit. So here are my four tips on how to get back into reading regulary:

1. Keep something to read in your work bag

Now, I'm not proposing you read on the job [I don't want anyone to get fired because of books!] but if you keep a book in your work bag you'll be more likely to read during your lunch break or on your commute. I find that reading on my break or on my commute keeps me calm and relaxed and in the right frame of mind to face whatever the rest of the day may bring.

I want this to be my work bag...am currently using a bag for life like an old woman! 

2. Read in queues

If you're going to a place where you'll know there will be a long queue i.e. the post office or the doctor's surgery then take a book with you. Queues go by a lot quicker when you're lost in a book. If you added up all the time in your life spent queuing it would probably be years, so why not do something constructive with that time?


 That is my kind of bus stop!

3.Read before bed

Digital overload can prevent sleep as the artificial light from our devices can trick our brains into staying awake. Reading a book [not an ebook in this case] can relax our brains which helps us fall asleep more easily [just don't read anything too exciting otherwise it may have the opposite effect!] If you read just 15 minutes before bed every day you'll probably be able to complete a book in a month.

 

 Woman Reading In Bed – by Escha van den Bogerd.


4. Join an online book club

If you don't have time to go to a book club in person, then why not join an online one? Click here for an example of one . The great thing about online bookclubs is that you can still discuss the chosen book on the site's forum even after the deadline has passed, so you can read at your own pace, but still be inspired to read more often. 




No comments: